ASA Security Device Manager (ASDM) delivers world-class security management and monitoring through an intuitive, easy to use Web-based management interface. . It has an easy-to-use GUI and enables network administrators to quickly configure, monitor, and troubleshoot Cisco firewall appliances.
Before enabling ASDM on your ASA device, you need to download the ASDM image from Ciscos site. Next, you need to enable ASDM on your device. Here is how it can be done:
1. Copy the downloaded ASDM image file to your firewall using TFTP or FTP:
2. Configure ASA to load ASDM at next reboot using the asdm image flash:ASDM FILENAME command:
3. Enable the http server and identify the management station that will be used to configure the appliance:
4. Create a user on the device:
5. Save your configuration using the write command and reload the device.
6. Open your browser and go to the IP address of the ASA device (https://ASA_ADDRESS) :
7. Click on the Install ASDM Launcher and Run ASDM button to install ASDM (NOTE – if you don’t have JAVA JRE installed,you have to install it (PAY ATTENTION to compatibility warnings on Cisco Website). If prompted for credentials, enter the username and password you’ve configured earlier:
7. Run the downloaded installer and proceed with the wizard. As soon as the installation is completed, you can start using ASDM to manage your ASA: